The 2019 finalists reported all over the world; covering stories of suicide, war, disease, and corruption by crafting films with powerful and intimate footage from Nicaragua to Syria, and Sierra Leone to Yemen. All nine pieces reflect the dedication, bravery, and deep sense of commitment shared by freelance journalists everywhere.
Martin Adler Prize.
The Martin Adler Prize honours a local freelance journalist or field producer whose work with international media outlets has made a significant contribution to newsgathering, either through a single story or body of work. The aim of the prize is to highlight the dedication and talent of local freelancers who often work under challenging and difficult circumstances within their own country, and who go largely unrecognised.
The winner is selected by the Trustees of the Rory Peck Trust.
Rory Peck Award for News.
This award honours the work of freelance camera operators in the coverage of a news event where the focus is on the immediacy of the story.
Duration: up to 10 minutes
- CHAIR: Jonathan Levy – Director of Newsgathering, Sky News
- Benedicte Autret – Head of News Partnerships, Google
- Samira Becirovic – Output Production Editor, AP
- Caroline Hawley – Correspondent, BBC
- Erin Lyall – News Producer, CBS
Rory Peck Award for News Features.
This award honours the work of freelance camera operators in news features that look beyond the immediacy of the news.
Duration: up to 30 minutes
- CHAIR: Sue Turton – Series Producer, Unreported World, Channel 4
- Mais Al-Bayaa – Freelance Current Affairs Producer
- Milène Larsson – Co-Head of Video & Commissioner, EMEA, VICE
- Adrienne Mong – Vice President, International Newsgathering, NBC News
- Peter Parker – Duty Editor, Reuters
Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs.
This award honours the work of freelance camera operators in long-form current affairs that examines a single issue, story or situation and has an impact on the viewer, policy, or public awareness.
Duration: up to 60 minutes
- CHAIR: Neil Cairns – Executive Producer, Features, CGTN Europe
- Monica Garnsey – Executive Producer, Frontline PBS
- Claus Pfeifer – Head of Technical Sales, Sony Professional
- Seyi Rhodes – Freelance Presenter/Journalist
- Marta Shaw – Freelance Producer/Director