While on the job, you may encounter situations where careful consideration and precautions are needed in order to keep yourself, your team and your contributors safe and secure. COVID has required journalists to cover a global pandemic and efforts to combat it. It has impacted safety considerations and protocols for all involved and has often forced us to operate in new ways. It has also affected the reporting of other stories, due to a lack of access or inability to travel. This provides a multitude of different challenges for journalists working globally.
There are many resources available to help you while reporting on particular scenarios and events, such as conflicts, protests or COVID.
- Media Tips for Working With Refugees, produced by Jo Healey founder of Trauma Work, author of “Trauma Reporting, A Journalist’s Guide to Covering Sensitive Stories”.
- Safety Tool-Box for Freelance Journalists, produced for the Freelance Journalism Assembly in collaboration with our partners ACOS Alliance and Frontline Freelance Register
- Verification Handbook for Disinformation and Media Manipulation, EJC
- Sensitive remote interviewing tips, by Jo Healey, BBC Senior Journalist and author of ‘Trauma Reporting, A Journalist’s Guide to Covering Sensitive Stories’
- How to spot bogus science stories and read the news like a scientist, The Conversation
- Slack group, Society of Freelance Journalists
Reporting on COVID.
- Psychological Risk & Covering COVID, Rory Peck Trust
- Covering the COVID-19 vaccine: what journalists need to know, Knight Center
- Covering COVID-19: Resources for Journalists, International Centre for Journalists
- Staying Safe: How to Report a Pandemic, Global Investigative Journalism Network
- CPJ Safety Advisory: Covering the Coronavirus Outbreak, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Reporting safely and ethically on the Coronavirus pandemic, FFR
- Lessons for Reporting on COVID-19 Variants, International Journalists Network
- Reporting and COVID-19: Tips for Journalists, Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma