We cannot recommend or endorse specific companies, but the following brokers specialise in conflict, high risk insurance and understand the specific needs of journalists.
CHC Global are independent insurance brokers, specialising in travel to hostile environments. They support freelance journalists by sourcing insurance to cover a range of scenarios, including:
- Travel and personal accident
- Kidnap, illegal detention, hostage taking, and extortion
- Evacuation and repatriation
Contact: Thea Grootenhuis
Insurance for Journalists’ insurance policies were designed by journalists for journalists, providing comprehensive insurance including travelling as a passenger in a military vehicle – and even being embedded.
- Worldwide cover available, including Ukraine, with no excluded regions or conditions;
- Uniquely offering ‘follow you home’ cover for continuing claim support for up to three months;
- Online policy application with immediate policy issue.
Also offering specialist insurance for locally employed teams – find out more here.
Contact: Hugh Brumfitt
+44 (0) 7958 317317 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Insurance Brokers is an international insurance broker offering expert services to all areas of the media industry, including insurance for freelancers.
- Worldwide coverage available, including to Ukraine and FCO ‘advise against all travel’ countries/areas.
- Coverage available: Travel, Personal Accident, War & Terrorism, Political Risks, Kidnap & Ransom, Equipment, Liability, Full Production Insurance
USA-based Safe Passage International offers travel insurance for both corporate clients and non-profit organisations. Under its Security First plans, the firm offers accident insurance, including risks posed by war and terrorism, as well as plans covering kidnap, ransom, and extortion.
Battleface offers travel medical insurance that covers you wherever the story takes you. They provide all-inclusive travel insurance to journalists travelling anywhere in the world.