Rory Peck Condemns Gaza’s Deadliest Attack on Palestinian Journalists

The Rory Peck Trust has condemned the killing of six Palestinian journalists in Gaza, the deadliest single strike on media workers since the war began.

Freelancer Mohammad al-Khaldi and five Al Jazeera journalists — correspondents Anas al-Sharif and Mohammed Qreiqeh, and camera operators Ibrahim Zaher, Mohammed Noufal, and Moamen Aliwa — were killed on Sunday in what the network said was an Israeli strike on tents used by reporters outside Gaza City’s al-Shifa Hospital.

The Israeli military said the strike targeted al-Sharif, accusing him of being a Hamas member involved in “advancing rocket attacks against Israeli civilians.” Al Jazeera rejected the claim, calling al-Sharif “one of Gaza’s bravest journalists” and describing the attack as “a desperate attempt to silence voices” ahead of an expected Israeli push into Gaza.

Jon Williams, Executive Director of the Rory Peck Trust, told BBC News those responsible must be held to account. “Journalism is not a crime. Killing and targeting journalists is a war crime,” he said. “If we turn a blind eye to that, others will be vulnerable because people can see that you can attack journalists and get away with it.”

The Israeli military has previously alleged that six Gaza journalists, including al-Sharif, were members of Hamas or Palestinian Islamic Jihad, citing documents it said listed training courses and salaries. Williams said such claims fit a pattern of “unsubstantiated allegations” against Palestinian reporters: “They not only delegitimise the individual, they undermine trust in journalism.” he said. “That’s very dangerous for all of us.”

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, at least 186 journalists and media workers have been killed since the conflict in Gaza erupted on Oct. 7, making it the deadliest conflict for reporters in recent history.